Saturday, April 23, 2016

Hot Air Balloon Mini-card: Fusion & Muse

It has been exciting to re-acquaint myself with the paper-craft world over the last few weeks.
Many challenges that I used to play in frequently have retired, just like I did for a couple of years--
because let's face it, we all experience burnout and have to re-align every so often.
But so many new and interesting challenges that have popped up since!
One of those is the Fusion Challenge, which has a perfect bright and cheery theme for April:
 
I decided to follow the photo for this one, but because my umbrella stamps are solid, I decided to mix it up a little and do a multi-layered hot air balloon instead:
 
 

For the sentiment, I took some inspiration from the Muse challenge #162, which features a bright and cheerful card by Tracey McNeely. 
I like to send little notes of encouragement that will help friends, especially those with the demands of motherhood seeming to weigh heavy from time to time.  Sometimes a small surprise in the mailbox is just the validation someone needs.  It doesn't have to be big. 
But RAK's give both ways, always. 
So this one will be nice to have on hand this summer.

For the coloring I used my new bargain find: Prismacolors for...you'll never guess...a new tin of 24 Premiers for $5.  I got three for $10 less than the price of 1.  Slam.  Dunk.  Here are the colors I used:
 
 
The 'watercolor' technique is actually done by coloring with these buttery-smooth pencils and then using a tad bit of baby oil to lift some of the color and paint with it.  I used a blending tortillon, but a brush or cotton swab works well too.
 
 
 
For the layering, I always color the base image completely first, as a practice and reference.  Make sure to color the edges of each layer, even if it will be covered up, since you can always see a little bit inside.
 
 
 The finished layering:


 Materials Used on this Card:
Cardstock {Papertrey Ink} Stamps {TCS} Ink {Ranger}
Prismacolor pencils & baby oil
Cotton twine

Thanks so much for dropping by!
Before you go, hop over to my quilting and gardening blog, Gardener's Thread, 
to enter for a Tula Pink book giveaway!
That giveaway will remain open until I finish my Spring-weaver quilt. 
I'll be hosting another craft cleanout giveaway here soon, so do check back.
 
Be well,
--Kathryn
 

3 comments:

  1. Love how you've added dimension selectively using those layers. Your colouring skills are awesome - wherever you've been for the past couple of years, I'm glad you found your way back and found Muse, too! I hope we'll see you again! Thanks so much for joining us this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome all those layers! Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your colouring skills a fabulous and loved reading how you put your card together. Happy that you found your way back, I do understand burnout but so happy you found Muse. Thank you for sharing with us at Muse this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments -- they add an extra smile to my day. I hope yours is happy and bright as well, no matter where you are visiting from!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails